Friday, May 18, 2007

Super Session

This is the album that turned me on to Mike Bloomfield. I also realized that Al Kooper ( Bood, Sweat and Tears) was an absolute master of the B3. If there is any keyboard that defined a genre it's the B3.

Bloomfield did about half the tracks before he checked himself into a hospital ( or had an anxiety attack, I can't remember which from his biography)and Stephen Stills came in to finish off the session. One of Stills' tracks, Season of the Witch, was recorded live at The Fillmore in December of 1968 ( the 13th to be exact, which thirty years later would be the day my daughter was born) with Mike Bloomfield on guitar.

I find it interesting to listen to the differences in approach between the two and the evolution of the song to live performance. It's a bit shorter with Bloomfield staying within the context of the studio recording but adding his own unique personality.

Super Session

Live at the Fillmore