Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Time to get serious

Now that my seasonal employment has ended for another year I can focus on some pickup production. My V-59 wind is extremely popular so I plan on doing a few of those every week.

I have a new vintage wind that has evolved over the past year or so. Three different outputs with the coil mis-match becoming larger with the higher output. I chose each combination to match the wind. Going over my notes these are the combinations that were the most common so I decided to make them part of the model line.

I also have time to really work on my de-gaussing technique. Alnico 5 seems to work particularly well with a slight de-gauss. Alnico 3 is the weakest so I don't bother with that one and Alnico 2 is just too hit or miss. Too often it either doesn't make a difference or it's too weak. I think there is just too narrow a window for it to be truly effective.

Seeing as it's Wednesday let's have a tune. How about some Howlin' Wolf? Hubert Sumlin, Wolf's guitarist, had a huge influence on Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Peter Green etc. Robert Plant borrowed a lot from Wolf as well, which isn't surprising as both Page and Plant were heavily into the Blues music that was coming over from the States at the time. This tune should sound vaguely familiar. It's "Killing Floor".

Enjoy

No comments: